Villa Aurelia was recently restored by Studio Einaudi architects Roberto Einaudi and Fabiana Zeli. The restoration effort was led - on behalf of the American Academy in Rome - by Mercedes T. Bass (Trustee and Chair for the Villa Restoration), the American Academy in Rome Plant, Planning & Preservation Committee, and Cristina Puglisi (Assistant Director for Properties).
During the work the coat of arms of the Savorelli and Heyland families were discovered and restored to their original splendor, along with fragments of frescoes dating to the 17th century and Cardinal Farnese. Analysis of the building layers confirmed original materials on the northern, eastern, and western façade dating to the 17th century, while the southern façade, which was destroyed during the bombardment of 1849, can be traced to the work of architect Vespignani commissioned by Count Savorelli.
The restoration project also brought to light a small stretch of the Aurelian wall in the substructure of the Villa. The Einaudi project began in 2000 and was completed two years later. By May of 2002 Villa Aurelia was again one of the most suggestive and beautiful properties in Rome.